The young man in the question takes his bride to his home in the countryside to meet his family. The author describes the following scene in exquisite detail:-
- It’s night and the entire family is sitting on the porch of their house
- the brother of the protagonist challenges him to a wrestling match in the dirt, claiming that the protagonist has changed at heart, is an urbanite now and won’t dirty himself
- the protagonist hesitates, but then agrees to the challenge and after some struggle wins
- the new bride is very quiet and reticent during all of this, and the protagonist starts wondering if any of this is not to her taste, or if she dislikes this new side of him that she has discovered
- Finally, when they go up to their room and the young man apologizes to his wife, it turns out that she wasn’t really angry/sad at all, but loved him all the more for this side of him.